Wholemeal Bread & butter pudding in Halogen oven
Easy bread & butter pudding cooked in Halogen tabletop oven .
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to Cook: 40
Number of Servings: 4
White bread could be used and sweetener instead of sugar! 1% milk tastes a little bit more creamy than skimmed.
Butter bread sparingly. Place half, butter side down in a round pie dish that fits inside oven on low rack. Sprinkle fruit on top. Cover with rest of bread, butter side up. Beat eggs in milk and pour over top evenly. Grate nutmeg over top. Leave 20 minutes. Preheat halogen oven to 170C. Leave pudding 30 minutes altogether, then put in heated oven. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes depending on oven instructions. We did it for 40 and it wasn't quite cooked at bottom. Will do 45 mins next time. Serves 4 good size portions, could stretch to 6.
Serving Size: Serves 4
Number of Servings: 4
Special Bread and Butter Pudding
Have you ever wondered what to do with a random left over croissant or two? Well, here’s a recipe that will use them up either as an individual portion or in a larger bowl.
a little dried fruit (I used raisins)
a bare half pint milk (275ml)
2 level tablespoons sugar (or vanilla sugar)
1 large egg
1. Lightly oil or grease 3-4 ramekins (for 1 croissant) or a larger straight sided bowl (for 2 or more croissants). A small souffle dish is ideal.
2. Slice the croissant(s) quite thinly.
3. Using the larger middle slices place a slice in the bottom of each ramekin, sprinkle in a few bits of dried fruit (and maybe a sprinkle of brandy or rum!)
4. Layer the slices with fruit until you have no more slices left.
5. At this point preheat the oven to 180 with the low rack in the bowl.
6. Into a jug or bowl measure the milk, add the sugar and the egg and whisk it well.
7. Pour over the croissant slices dividing evenly between the ramekins (you may need to use a spoon to get all the sugar).
Bread & Butter Marmalade Pudding
Delicious served with a bit of custard or fresh cream.
Serves : 6 Prep/Cooking Time : 1hr 15 +soaking time
Tip : Before you start, make sure you have a dish that will fit comfortably with at least an inch gap between it and the glass bowl. Round is best but square will work too.
Prepare the Bread
Spread the butter onto both sides of the bread and cut into triangles.
Now spread the marmalade on one side of the slices of bread
Assemble the Pudding
Place 12 bread triangles in the base of a suitably sized round or square oven-proof dish so they are overlapping slightly.
Sprinkle over half of the sultanas, then half of the mixed peel, lime zest, ground cinnamon and sugar
Cover with the more bread, then repeat the exercise. Finally lay a third layer of bread on top to finish.
Finish and BakeUsing a bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla extract and the milk and single cream with a whisk and pour over the top of the bread and allow to stand for 1 hour so that all the bread has soaked up the egg mixture
Finally sprinkle over some demerera sugar and place in the oven, on the bottom rack for between 50-60 minutes (timings depend on the wattage of your halogen oven) on 190°C.